IMG-20120124-00182

Impossible Mission Accomplished!

January 25, 2012 , In: Backyard Chickens, Gardening, Link Up! , With: 8 Comments
0
Henny and Penny really don’t care…there are worms to be found

 

Today (at 5:05 PM to be exact) we, for the very first time, repaired irrigation lines in our yard.  Who knew it would be that easy?!  With a break in the rainy weather (thank you Mother Nature), Mr. Hen Songs and I found our spines, the connector parts, and the pipe cutter (overkill but what the heck) and ventured out into the garden to conquer rubber tubing.

To recap, the Yard Terrorists (Henny and Penny) did this to the drip lines with their pecky beaks and scratchy claws

This one looked like a geyser
Not the water feature we had in mind
With the help of our wonderful and creative landscape designer, our yard has gone from yuck to this over the past few years.  We figure that if we could tame plants, what harm could a couple of chickens do….HA
 
 
We learned….boy have we learned! I now know which of my favorite vegetables and flowers are tasty snacks and how quickly a coral bell can be reduced to a mound of rubble (it takes a stop watch). Out of our experience has come a new career in Urban Farming, Poultry Division.  More blogging on that to come but if you want a sneak peak, check out Suzanne Dupont, my partner in landscape shenanigans  
Step one was to find the leaks again (note to self, marking them would have saved time).  I was giddy to find myself dumped back into my technology comfort zone when the box decided to “throw an exception”. Yes, I had to go all geeky on you.

 

I knew the timer box didn’t like me but there’s no reason to swear!

 

 

I just love “workarounds”- it’s so much better than fixing a problem
Oooo – wires and cables…and spiders!

With only two hands and a minimal amount of time (glad I saved those instructions in a baggie attached to the door of the box!), we turned on the valve in question and found the leaks.  Actually, one leak found Mr. Hen Song’s face; the other found my shoe.

 

Out with the old….
 The hardest part was cramming the tubing into the connector piece.  Now I know why the strongest person on our landscaper’s team does this repair work.

 

In with the new…
As a peace offering, the girls provided dinner for tonight – deep dish spinach and mushroom pizza with a fried egg on top!

 




Next step, new lavender shrubs in planter boxes in the H.P. Gated Community….you already know the characters; the story will have you on the edge of your seats!

 

    • Eclectically Vintage
    • January 25, 2012
    Reply

    Yippie – Henny & Penny are two spoiled chicks! They even get their own lavender! So glad you did it!!
    Kelly

    • Linda @ it all started with paint
    • January 27, 2012
    Reply

    Linda,

    Thanks for sharing your update with me … and I agree. Who knew it could be so easy? And so happy that Henny & Penny are so happy that they shared a special gift with you.

    And in response to your comment (you came up as "no reply" in my email, I did paint that vaulted ceiling. And I painted it with a giant pole. No scaffolding. No big ladder. Just me and my very long extension pole!

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    • Sherry
    • January 27, 2012
    Reply

    How excellent, you completed the impossibilities challenge, your irrigation system and how nice of your chicks to give you a gift (smile). Wow great job! I'm your newest follower!

    • thistlewoodfarm
    • January 27, 2012
    Reply

    Thanks for the update! Isn't it funny how what we think is impossible sometimes ends up being so easy to complete! Be sure and link up on Tuesday, January 31 at each of our six linky parties!
    blessings,
    karianne

    • Karah @ thespacebetweenblog
    • January 31, 2012
    Reply

    Uhhh, this made me chuckle. When you started with "we found out spines…and connector parts "I let out an immature chuckle. 🙂 I am so glad it was easier than you thought – and that you got eggs!!!

    Thank you so much for joining the challenge!
    Karah

    • Linda
    • January 31, 2012
    Reply

    Karah – we did a lot of chuckling, too :). After sweating over ramming the tubes into the connector, we found out that all we needed to do was dip the tubing in hot water and it slips right in. I think I need to post an update. " how to do it the easy way"!

    • Linda @ it all started with paint
    • February 2, 2012
    Reply

    Thanks for linking up Henny & Penny's new digs!

  1. Pingback: It’s Rhubarb Time

Reply to Sherry. cancel

Scroll Up